Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator?

+3
Harrie
andoy
richardelvy
7 posters

Go down

how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator? Empty how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator?

Post by richardelvy Fri May 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi, i have just hatched my first quail chick in my new incubator. would anyone be kind enough to let me know when i should remove the chick from the incubator. do i leave the chick crumb on floor of incubator and how soon will the baby start eating? i have an aviary and my two quail were laying but not sitting on the eggs so i bouight the incubator from ebay, but am panicking now as i really dont know what i am doing and i want the chicks to have a good start in life so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. many thanks. richard. my email is richardbayford01@aol.com

Last edited by richardelvy on Fri May 09, 2008 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to select the notify me when reply is posted option)

richardelvy
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator? Empty Re: how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator?

Post by andoy Fri May 09, 2008 10:54 pm

hi Richard,

generally you leave them in the incubator for 12 to 24 hours after they have hatched, to let them dry out. They won't need food just after they have hatched, so don't bother putting any in the incubator. You will need some sort of brooder to gradually acclimatise them (I've seen some people use a simple box with a light bulb. They need to be kept around 35C in 1st week (but you can usually tell if they are cold by their behaviour (huddling together near the light source). Gradually reducing the temperature each week till they can regulate their own body temperature.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator? Empty Re: how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator?

Post by Harrie Fri May 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Don't panic. I leave mine in 24 hrs or so. And I sprinkle crumb on the brooder floor and water in pop bottle tops. (some say 48 hrs is okay at a push in the incy)
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Horsley-Anarak Fri May 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Richard

I am only a novice but from what I have been told and read.

Leave the chicks in the incubator for 24 hours, do not open lid, and dont worry they can survive for at least 48 hours with no food and water.

( they are still absorbing yolk )

After 24 hours they will be all fluffy and ready to go into the brooder,

This can be a large cardboard box with a hanging light buld.

These are the basics that have worked for me.

Thanks

H-A
Horsley-Anarak
Horsley-Anarak
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Fri May 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Horsley-Anarak wrote:Leave the chicks in the incubator for 24 hours, do not open lid, and dont worry they can survive for at least 48 hours with no food and water.

( they are still absorbing yolk )

Very true If hatched on due date, but late hatches will need food & water sooner. I usually don't leave my chicks in the incubator for more than 12 hours, unless I put food & water in for them.

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

how long do i leave newly hatched chicks in incubator? Empty chicks

Post by dave. Fri May 09, 2008 11:40 pm

hi Richard, always leave mine 24 hrs, hatching on days 17 & 18, (19+ they seem weaker ), I always grind chick crumbs for week 1 sometimes 2. Red bulb in fish tank aprox 4" off floor of saw dust with cloth on for few days to stop legs splaying,(only just started to do this works fine) dave.
dave.
dave.
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 124
My eBay : dave66990_0
Registration date : 2008-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by richardelvy Fri May 09, 2008 11:54 pm

thank you ever so much for all the advice. take care guys

richardelvy
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronze Sat May 10, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm so glad cos I managed to drop the box with all my stuff in it and broke my bulb...and my thermometer..... and my spare bulb. Gulp
Cant get any replacements til monday so its incubator today and tomorrow then heated wheat bags to tide them over.
Bronze
Bronze
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2007-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down