Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group.

+5
Suz
Mark
lukeelliot
adamntitch
internet_nobody
9 posters

Go down

Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group. Empty Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group.

Post by internet_nobody Mon May 26, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm just interested to see what people use as an minimum or ideal breeding ratio, and whats the minimum amount of space they give the birds - i'm thinking useable space, so please subtract the space taken up by feeder + drinker (or state that you have ignored that Smile). I know a lot of people keep big breeding groups but it would still be interesting to see, since i'm really only just starting with directed breeding (before I wasn't too bothered about fertility - but now i'm trying the tux range project i'd like to ensure the birds have the right amount of room to happily breed etc). Since the only other quail keeper's set up i've seen is Nino's, and I was really impressed with the amount of room given to his "fancies" and bobs, I want to ensure i'm keeping up with the Jonses Wink

I keep japs in minimum breeding groups of 1:3, and my smallest cages for a quad are 1m x 50cm (and 50cm high), about 5.3 sq feet - they have trough feeders and 1L drinkers so thats about 4.5sq foot useable space. My largest group of 8 (2:6) are in a 4ft x 4ft covered run, with nesting box added on the size.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group. Empty Re: Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group.

Post by adamntitch Tue May 27, 2008 12:43 am

av only the one breeding group (1.4) and cage is 4 foot by 2 by 2 feeders and drinkers dont take up room as there on the out side with holes cut for them to reach the food and water

adamntitch
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 432
My eBay : sebrightmad1985
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Back to top Go down

Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group. Empty Re: Species | Breeding Ratio | Space per breeding group.

Post by lukeelliot Tue May 27, 2008 1:05 am

Ive always kept mine at a 3-1 ratio, in a 4ft by 1.5ft hutch and my hatch rate is always over always a 80%.

Im quite lucky in this part of the world though as quails are quite common with the new jamie oliver movement (your own eggs) even the local pet shop is now selling quail pellets.

luke

lukeelliot
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeelliot Tue May 27, 2008 1:08 am

my hatch rate is 80% most of the time is what i ment to say

luke

lukeelliot
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 am

I use a Breeding Pen designed for quail. The floor is sloped to allow eggs to roll out and be collected. The feeders and waters are placed on the outside of the pen. My ratio for those are 1 male to 2 females.

I have seen a colony breeder setup cant remember the size, but the ratio of birds was 5 males to 20 females.

Mark

Mark
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 am

I got my hubby to do some sums for me last night ....

Average usable space per Jap (all housing/birds added together) 0.857 sq feet. Colony breeding system.

Bobs usable space - covey breeding system average ratio 1:1 - 5.5 sq feet per bird not including perches & roofs ..... but share with 12 mini silkies & a rabbit.

New bob space Sad still sharing with silkies & rabbit and now male heavy - 13.74 sq feet per bob, yet the all like to sit on a 5' log handing from the roof Rolling Eyes

New Aviary's - planning of keeping 9 cali's together in one of them (2 males:1 female) - 20.55 sq feet per bird, (not included perches & shelves), still undecided about 2nd aviary
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by rohraen Tue May 27, 2008 10:53 am

does anyone know the legal minimum space requirement for each size of bird?

just wondered with the new animal welfare laws now in force!
rohraen
rohraen
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-12

http://freewebs.com/myrabbitshed

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Tue May 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi,

The legal minimum cage size per bird is 160cm².

I keep my birds in both sheds and cages. The sheds I use are 8' X 6' (approx) giving me 48ft². I generally keep 32 breeding birds in there.

My cages are 4ft x 2ft X15in giving a floor space of 8ft² I keep one male and 5 females.

I also have a "fattening" shed I rear my males in, it's 6' x 4' and I just keep all the males from one hatch in this, it could be 10 or it could be 40. It's not a great deal of space, but in intensive broiler houses, meat chickens are kept 17 birds or 34kg per meter², even free range chickens are 11 birds per m².

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Tue May 27, 2008 3:33 pm

My hutches are approx 7' x 2' and at the moment I have 1:4/5. I can split these in half and would then stock them at 1:3 short term only.

In my aviary I have 4:12 and they have the aviary space of 6' x 9' and a hutch of 7' x 2'. With this much space I have added quail with very few problems several times.
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm

rohraen wrote:does anyone know the legal minimum space requirement for each size of bird?

just wondered with the new animal welfare laws now in force!

I was just curious what the rule is and is there a link to a site I could read about it.

Mark

Mark
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody Tue May 27, 2008 9:09 pm

I'm not sure if the AWA actually defines cage sizes...

But there are the 5 things it says:

1. For a suitable environment (place to live)
2. For a suitable diet
3. To exhibit normal behaviour patterns
4. To be housed with, or apart from, other animals (if applicable)
5. To be protected from pain, injury, suffering and disease
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed May 28, 2008 9:03 am

I was reading the AWA site information to me it seems like some one will come to your place and check on your birds and housing. I know here in Missouri a Conservation Agent shows up to your place and checks out your setup when you initially sign up for a Bobwhite Permit, after that they hardly come around and check.

mark

Mark
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

excuse my ignorance, but what is AWA?

I googled it and could only find things like American Wrestling Association and Anarchist Workers Association Razz

I can only presume it's to do with Animal Welfare of some sort?
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rohraen Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 am

i just wondered,

as with the rabbits cages are supposed to be tall enough for bunny to stand on its hind legs, and be long enough to able to make three hops, they must have natural light, natural diet, and access to exercise/vet care/ plus hay and water at all times.

cat
rohraen
rohraen
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-12

http://freewebs.com/myrabbitshed

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 pm

Its the Animal Welfare Act

Mark

Mark
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down