Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly???

+5
lukeelliot
xxangexx
Harrie
internet_nobody
s25ale
9 posters

Go down

How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly??? Empty How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly???

Post by s25ale Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi all,

It won't be long now before my little eggs hatch *hopefully* and i'm trying to get everything ready for them. I've got my brooder ready and a rabbit hutch and run but i've also been fencing the top of my garden off for a little veggie patch. Would be it possible to have 'free range' quails at the here where they would have much more space (i'm willing to sacrifice a few veggies for a greedy quail or two) or will they be able to fly over the fence?

Thanks

Hayley.
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly??? Empty Re: How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly???

Post by internet_nobody Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:33 pm

They'll be over the fence no problems. I had one quail manage to bounce out when I was collecting eggs, and after a quick chase around the garden he took flight, cleared out 6 ft fence and landed on a shed over the allyway, about 9ft up. So I sent my OH on a wall climbing-potentially-shed-squashing mission to rescue him. I'd just go for a big run/low level aviary for them to wander round in.

I have a group of 5 docile (or stupid!) quail who seem to have no interest in flying who I let free range under supervision. Same group managed to "escape" when my OH didn't properly bolt their door shut, and were probably out for half an hour or so before one came to knock on the back door.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly??? Empty Re: How high can a clipped / non clipped Quail fly???

Post by s25ale Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Well it looks like the enclosure for them then i juut thought it would be nicer if they could wander round as they pleased.
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Mine can boink their heads on my full height aviary when they fancy!
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by xxangexx Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:56 pm

s25ale wrote:Well it looks like the enclosure for them then i juut thought it would be nicer if they could wander round as they pleased.

That would be so nice if they could.

But when my 1st 2 got out! I was surprised to see them fly so well, but not to well as next doors cat got one of them.

ange xx

xxangexx
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Female
Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-05-11

http://www.freewebs.com/milliesstud/

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeelliot Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:09 am

If you clip there wings and there tame birds i don't see why (under supervision) they shouldn't be aloud to roam free! mine roam the garden all day! just beware of cats!

Luke

lukeelliot
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am

I'll have to tie little lead weights to there legs ha ha only joking Very Happy
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Klaire Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Mine are very calm and tame, but fly off if they're out the pen! Twisted Evil
Klaire
Klaire
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Female
Number of posts : 430
My eBay : klaire1989
Registration date : 2008-03-05

http://klaire12.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 pm

When I first started, I experimented putting out 4 birds to see if I could free range them under supervision. That was a big mistake. They ran off in all different directions and I had trouble finding them. They tend to blend in to the garden far too well.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm

My quail are the same as Andy's .... first sign of freedom and there off , then the kids and I have to chase them round the garden with the bandy nets to gather them up again Embarassed
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by lukeelliot Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:09 am

I must be very lucky with my quail, my boy seems to keep them in check

Luke

lukeelliot
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Male
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rete Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:25 pm

we had one that also managed to get out never to be seen again he would jump at you every time we opened the cage door he wanted out. he also cleared a 6ft fence .

rete
Chinese Painted Quail
Chinese Painted Quail

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down