Egg Turning and Position

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Egg Turning and Position

Post by Stargate on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:26 am

Hello, I am planning to purchase some eggs and hopefully hatch some Quail if all goes to plan. Before I start out I really would like to know about how to turn the eggs and if they can just be laid on a flat surface. For some reason I keep thinking they have to be slightly tilted one direction or the other, but I am not sure. Do you just turn the eggs end over end? Oh, and approximately how often do you need to turn the eggs a day, and how much time in-between should you allow before turning again.

THANKS!

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Re: Egg Turning and Position

Post by Ironsun on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 am

Hi,

Eggs can be incubated on their sides, they are only incubated on end if your incubator has an automatic turner like an Octagon 10,20, 40 etc.

You must make each egg (on their sides with a X and on ther opppsite side with an O.

You turn eggs three times per day as near to every 8 hours as possable, Firstly place your eggs in your incubator on the X side, then 8 hours or so, turn them 180 to the O side, wait another 8 hours then turn once more to the X side.I'm up each morning, so I turn my eggs 6am, 2pm and 10pm.

Keep your incubator running at 37.5C with a humidity level of between 30-40% for 15 days, then stop turning your eggs. Add water to increase humidity to about 50-60% and the most important thing to remember in the last three day is NOT to open your incubator, you will lose the vital humidity nesseccary for a successful hatch.

There are loads of post and of different methods, the above is my most prefered method.

Derek.
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

View user profile http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Thank you that is very informative!

So you physically mark an X and an O on the sides? What kind of marker should you use as not to damage the egg?

Also, is the turning motion a "roll" or a flip end-over-end?

Thanks again!

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Hi,

I mark all my eggs with permanent markers, they are used in the poultry industry to mark all hatching eggs and have no effect on the hatching.

You roll the eggs from X to O, some people roll them back the same way, I don't really think it matters one way or the other. You turn the eggs to stop the embryo from getting stuck to the shell.

Derek.
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:35 am

Thanks, that clears it up for me!

Oh, and yet another question Laughing

I bought a digital thermometer for my incubator and it has two different thermometer settings, indoor and outdoor, but I am not sure which one I am supposed to go by. When I plugged in my incubator the outdoor reading rose quickly and I believe it was reading the light bulb. The indoor rose really slowly.

What is the difference between the two? Which should I go by?

Stargate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 am

Hi,

I've no idea. I would buy a proper thermometer or two, so you can get the correct readings.The thermometer you have bought is made for something totally incubator unrelatered, so it's not wise to use it.

Derek.
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:40 am

Does it not have a lead on it, Stargate? So the probe reads "outdoor" and the unit reads the "indoor"? and you can flick between them?
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

View user profile http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes it does have a lead on it....and I guess I hadn't thought about if the unit measured indoor temp. I'll have to do a little research.

Stargate
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargate on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Yea, you were right. I stuck the entire unit in and both gave the same temperature.

Stargate
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down