Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what age to introduce young quail to adults?

5 posters

Go down

what age to introduce young quail to adults? Empty what age to introduce young quail to adults?

Post by Timid Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi,
The quails that we hatched about a month ago are coming on nicely. A 7/7 hatch in our r-com mini, 1 died. It looks like we have 5 out of 6 females Very Happy (apart from 1 unknown Range).
We already have 3 adults - 2 females & 1 male in their own custom 6x4shed with low windows etc etc (spoilt !). We have now got the babies sucessfully out into the shed loft conversion with a little heat at night.
My question is when would be a good time to introduce the youngsters to the existing 3?
Many thanks

Timid
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

what age to introduce young quail to adults? Empty Re: what age to introduce young quail to adults?

Post by bex46 Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi, can i ask you, did you turn your eggs yourself? did they turn ok in the quail tray and did you keep water topped up. i have rcom3 and have been told different things. I am running it dry and manually turning the eggs as my last hatch i only got 2 and had to help 2 out of their eggs.

off topic

Last edited by Suz on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add this post is OT)
bex46
bex46
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

what age to introduce young quail to adults? Empty Re: what age to introduce young quail to adults?

Post by internet_nobody Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I move new hens in at 5 weeks (or if the weather is wet and cold I wait til 6 weeks), you tend to get a few scuffles, but it settles quite quickly.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by delmare Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:29 am

bex46 wrote:Hi, can i ask you, did you turn your eggs yourself? did they turn ok in the quail tray and did you keep water topped up. i have rcom3 and have been told different things. I am running it dry and manually turning the eggs as my last hatch i only got 2 and had to help 2 out of their eggs.

same problem

delmare
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 am

Timid wrote:Hi,
The quails that we hatched about a month ago are coming on nicely. A 7/7 hatch in our r-com mini, 1 died. It looks like we have 5 out of 6 females Very Happy (apart from 1 unknown Range).
We already have 3 adults - 2 females & 1 male in their own custom 6x4shed with low windows etc etc (spoilt !). We have now got the babies sucessfully out into the shed loft conversion with a little heat at night.
My question is when would be a good time to introduce the youngsters to the existing 3?
Many thanks

I add youngster to the adults between 6 and 8 weeks .... I like to make sure that the youngsters are sexually mature and ready(ish) for the older birds advances.
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by bex46 Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:17 pm

sorry!!
bex46
bex46
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down