Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ideas on how to increase humidity please

3 posters

Go down

ideas on how to increase humidity please Empty ideas on how to increase humidity please

Post by samscentials Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm

i have a covatuttu (sp?) 16 manual incubator, stopped turning last night and filled both water troughs with water, hygrometer is only reading 55% this afternoon it is my fisrt hatch and really want at least some chicks even though they were lost in post, then i had to remove smelly off ones and now this humidity problem is stressing me out.
there is no room for more water, is there anyway at all i can get the humidity up to hatching range. I am guessing they wont hatch at that humidity? Crying or Very sad
thanks in advance
samscentials
samscentials
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 138
My eBay : shop- school and fashion
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to increase humidity please Empty Re: ideas on how to increase humidity please

Post by Suz Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:15 pm

How far into incubation are you? The humidity doesn't need to be that high until pipping, so if there about ready to hatch your humidity will be fine Smile
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

ideas on how to increase humidity please Empty Re: ideas on how to increase humidity please

Post by samscentials Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm

they are day 15
samscentials
samscentials
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Don't stress. I don't think very high humidity is that crucial for hatching, despite what the text books say. I've had a couple of really good hatches without even raising the humidity over 30%. I think 55% is perfectly fine.

However, if you do want to increase the humidity, you can always add a damp tissue or rag. Increasing the surface area with damp matter works very well. Just make sure you don't over do it and cause your incubator to get too damp and short out the electrics.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by samscentials Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:20 pm

thankyou, fingers crossed then Smile
samscentials
samscentials
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down