Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member - advice please.

+2
Ironsun
ViciJP
6 posters

Go down

New member - advice please. Empty New member - advice please.

Post by ViciJP Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi,
After reading an article on Quail in one of the smallholding magazines, decided to find out some more info about them, and have now decided to get some.
I found this forum through Google and have read through a lot of posts, but there are just a few things I need to get clear.
Their basic diet is similar to chickens? Do they prefer to be out on grass, and if so, do they make a similar mess to chickens (ie move run every couple of days)?
Should they have a nest box and is it essential they are shut in at night?
I was thinking of getting 10, 9 females and 1 male. Does this ratio sound about right? What would be the minimum floor space for these (space not an issue, just need to build something)?
Thanks in advance for reading, I already have chicken and turkeys (plus sheep and horses). Very Happy

ViciJP
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

New member - advice please. Empty Re: New member - advice please.

Post by Ironsun Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi,

Firstly, Welcome to our friendly forum, I hope your stay with us is a long and happy one.

Quail keeping is very simular to other poultry keeping, they all have the basic needs of food, water, a warm frost free and dry shelter and space for them to move.

Most quail keepers feed their birds on chicken layer's meal from 4/5 weeks of age, but there are quail pellets available too.

Quails can be kept outdoor all the year round, and are hardy birds. One thing to remember is, quails hate damp and cold winds.If kept in a shed over winter that is water and wind proof, then they will thrive.

Quails can be kept in movable arks during the summer months, and if moved regular they'll not make to much od a mess on lawned areas, they don't scratch as much as a chicken/bantam would do.

Nest boxes are not nessaccery, as mine never use them, they just lay in random places (Normally in a corner).They need to be collected daily to keep them fresh for the kitchen or incubation.

With the increase of urban foxes, cats and other preditors, it's best to lock up your livestock each night, quails would rather stay outside all night so need putting away for the night.If your avairy are not fox proof it's always best to put them away each evening.

Male female ratio is one male to every 4/5 females as a rule, but if your not going to breed from them, males are not nessassary

Minimum floor are is up to you, I give mine boirds a minumum of 1Sq foot of space each, this is in either sheds or hutches. If your planing on outdoor runs, only the housing is counted, as outdoor space is not counted.I find a 6' x 4' shed with a simular sized avairy will hold two dozen birds with plenty of room to move in.

Quail will lay year round only if they have at least 14 hours day length, natural and artificial.

Good luck with your new quail keeping, if your require more help, please post your questions.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:24 pm

Welcome
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by sammyboy Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi and Welcome to the forum!
sammyboy
sammyboy
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 287
My eBay : kipperwoo
Registration date : 2008-04-02

http://www.samspoultry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need a male for the girls to lay eggs. You only need them if you want another generation of chicks. Coturnix very rarely go broody, so don't expect them to raise their own young.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:32 am

Hello from me! Very Happy
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by ViciJP Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 pm

andoy wrote:Welcome to the forum.

You don't need a male for the girls to lay eggs. You only need them if you want another generation of chicks. Coturnix very rarely go broody, so don't expect them to raise their own young.
Good job I have 2 incubators and loads of silkies Laughing

ViciJP
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down