Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how easy is it to incubate quail eggs?

5 posters

Go down

how easy is it to incubate quail eggs? Empty how easy is it to incubate quail eggs?

Post by battybat Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:38 am

I would love to have a go at growing baby quail, but i am very nervous about the whole thing. I don't really know what i need or how to go about it and books can be a bit confusing. I know that my quails eggs are fertile, judging by the performance of the male anyway, but the ladies just won't sit on them at all they play football with them usually:)

Any help would be much appreciated

Hugs
Batty XxX
battybat
battybat
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-11

http://www.fairiechild.co.uk

Back to top Go down

how easy is it to incubate quail eggs? Empty Re: how easy is it to incubate quail eggs?

Post by Suz Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 am

Hi Batty

Its unfortunate that the Japs have lost there brooding instinct, but its great fun for us. With a half decent incubator (I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations) hatching your own eggs will be really easy. The take 18 days of incubation at 37.5o and humidity of between 30 -45%, eggs need to be turned at least 3 times a day, until day 15 when you raise the humidity to about 60%, then wait for your new arrivals - the last 3 days give you time to yap on the forum about the arrival of the chickies and charge your camera Smile

Brooding the youngsters is easy as well, I use a plastic storage tub (as well as rat cages & indoor hutches) with a mesh lid with light fitting and 60w red light bulb - chicks are fed on crushed chick crumb for the first few days, water has to be in a shallow dish with pebbles or marbles to stop chicks from drowning - cos they are quite thick. Anyway this can all be discussed later, but if you want my advice - I'd say go get an incubator Smile

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

how easy is it to incubate quail eggs? Empty Re: how easy is it to incubate quail eggs?

Post by Ironsun Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi Battybat,

Yes, firstly you'll need a incubator, it's probably best to go for a brand new model, as they normally have a warrenty, but good sencond hand ones can be very good too.

I would'nt bother with a book, if you want to know anything, I'm sure a forum member will be willing to help you out.

Quail breeding is very addicted, so be sure you have room for surplus stocks, or easy to rehome.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 pm

I'll second what Derek said - info off the forum has been much more helpful than the book I bought.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lottie Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Ditto - take a look at my blog. I have hatched my first quail eggs - the chicks are 3 days old today. Thanks to Ironsun's (Derek) eggs, tips, and links to various ebay and internet sites for housing and equipment.

I have posted up each day the whole process I have been going through - so you might like to have a look to see how easy it is.

It has been a wonderful experience and I am already to get going with my next batch.

I have had fantastic support and advice on here - and am still getting it - you won't find a better site than this to get you up and running and addictive to quail. I spent a day or two reading all the reference sections and topics and posts - they are all invaluable for advice regarding breeds, housing, feeding - and you get photos too - all from the site members.

If you want to get addicted to quail - then this is the place to be.
lottie
lottie
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Female
Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down