Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random questions, babblings and queries about quails

3 posters

Go down

Random questions, babblings and queries about quails Empty Random questions, babblings and queries about quails

Post by Ravenshadow Sat May 10, 2008 2:51 am

It is time for me to do a scary, scary thing. Post.

I have been lurking on the forums for sometime now, reading when ever a new post is put up and generally being driven insane by various queries and questions regarding quails. I have probably driving a few people insane with my casual questions from time to time, so thought it was about time I started driving other people insane (or something like that at any rate).

Now, here’s the thing… I am still in the process of trying to convince other people in the house that Quail are the way forward; Even if only a small amount. So, at the moment nothing is certain and I may not even be able to get any quail any time in the near future (read: complicated situations). But, I would like to be decided on what type of quail I would get (if I am able to at some point) and find out as much information as possible so that I could be prepared if the time ever came.

I have been looking at various informational sources, but so far have come across sketchy information at best and some sites that just disagree with each other. So I thought the best way of finding out about the different breeds of quail would be to actually ask people who breed them or have done in the past.

Ideally, I am looking for a bird that is fairly unusual in its colouring / pattern scheme, I am not too sure why this is but for some reason this appeals. That is not to say it will be the final deciding factor though. I think that I would like to get a small handful of Chinese Painted Quail (because I like the challenge factor with keeping those) but would also like a slightly larger bird as the ‘main’ quail. I’ve looked at Mountain and Mearns quail, but obviously those are extremely hard to obtain in the UK and from what I can tell would not only cost a pretty penny (which I really do not have at this time) but also have low hatch rates (although those Mearns are oh-so-prudy!!). I have been eyeing up the Harlequin quail… And would like to know more about them to see if they are perhaps a potential ‘winner’.

So, any information that people can throw at me of the keeping of various quail and how hard they are to tame / rear would be most appreciated! Laughing

Ravenshadow
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Female
Number of posts : 24
My eBay : eliselmidnight
Registration date : 2008-04-24

http://www.twilightshadows.net

Back to top Go down

Random questions, babblings and queries about quails Empty Re: Random questions, babblings and queries about quails

Post by andoy Sat May 10, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm a novice also, but as I see it (others will no doubt correct me)...

I suppose it would depend on your motivation for keeping quails; ornamental pets, eggs (to eat), meat?

If you want eggs Japanese quails or Coturnix japonica (aslo known as. Italian, laying, common quail etc.)

For meat Jumbo Japanese and some of the large Bobwhites. You can also get some eggs from Bobwhites (but not as much as the Japs). I'm thinking of keeping some Giant Butler and/or Jumbo Bobwhites as they seem quite docile and a lot quieter than Coturnix.

For ornamental value I'd start off with Chinese Painted Quail before you even try the more expensive varieties. Nino (Welwyn Quails) can advise you on the more ornamental species.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Random questions, babblings and queries about quails Empty Re: Random questions, babblings and queries about quails

Post by phillipm1969 Sun May 11, 2008 10:50 pm

i used to keep harlequin quail and you pretty much keep them the same as cpq, they are more of a small cage bird than aviry and you need 2 females to 1 male, a very pretty bird but the males can be very nasty to one another. so you have to work out do you want small cages or an aviry 1st, then take your newt step.

phillipm1969
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum