Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing incubators during inubation

+3
sammyboy
Ronnie's Quails
s25ale
7 posters

Go down

Changing incubators during inubation Empty Changing incubators during inubation

Post by s25ale Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:42 pm

I've been inubating several Quail eggs in a home made inubator for around 5 days the problem is i've been having difficulty keeping the temperature at exactly 37.5 I've now purchased *awaiting delivery* a incubator can i move my eggs or shall i leave them in my home made one and buy another batch for my shop brought one?

Thanks!
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Changing incubators during inubation Empty incubators

Post by Ronnie's Quails Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:28 am

i think you should be fine but make sure everything in the new incubator is working perfectly and run it for about 5 hours before moving the eggs because if its not warm enough or somthing is wrong you have a few hours to sort it out and l;et the temperature stabalize then move them quickly
Ronnie's Quails
Ronnie's Quails
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 454
My eBay : 9767jack
Registration date : 2008-04-08

http://www.freewebs.com/hudgellboy/

Back to top Go down

Changing incubators during inubation Empty Re: Changing incubators during inubation

Post by s25ale Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks i'll do that. I can't wait for it to come Very Happy I think i've caught the bug already!
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Changing incubators during inubation Empty Re: Changing incubators during inubation

Post by sammyboy Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 am

What incubator are you getting?

sam
sammyboy
sammyboy
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 287
My eBay : kipperwoo
Registration date : 2008-04-02

http://www.samspoultry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:53 am

Only a baby one for now RCOM 3 MINI DIGITAL INCUBATOR
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:18 am

Hi s25ale,

I bought one of these models for just hatching out the odd few male birds I need.

One thing I did notice with it is, if the eggs are large, make sure they are being turned. My first batch was hardly turning, so I ended up turning them three times a day. I got 5/7. My second lot I turned them all the way through incubation and got 6/7. I'm on a thrid lot now, due anytime and there is 6/6 fertile.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:33 am

yes had same problem with rCom 3 and rCom 20 with quail egg trays. If the eggs aren't of a particular size and shape then they just don't turn automatically.

Also the AC/DC plug adaptor failed on my rCom 3. Luckily I had a spare 12V adaptor from my dab radio.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Klaire Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Same here with the R-Com 3, I found it very difficult to get all the eggs to turn and it's a lot of fiddling about to try and get them to sit right, I had one that definately didn't turn all the way through incubation. But I hatched 4/7 for my first ever hatch so I'm pleased Very Happy
Klaire
Klaire
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Female
Number of posts : 430
My eBay : klaire1989
Registration date : 2008-03-05

http://klaire12.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone, i've read a little of Klaire's online hatching diary and noticed her eggs didnt turn (Very cute pictures by the way Klaire)so i was going to watch out for it. I think i'll follow your advise and turn them manually, part of me would prefer to do that anyway as to keep an eye on them.

Hayley.
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Well my lovely little incubator is all set up and has 7 quail eggs in it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy i just hope the move and the temperature fluctuation from the home made incubator hasn't harmed them. I've been watching carefully and the incubator does attempt to turn the eggs but it only manages to move them about 1/4 of the way round so i've been turning them manually just to be sure.

** hatching 13 days to go**
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Good Luck!! Very Happy
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 am

Hi s25ale,

Yes, I noticed the R-com3 only turned them about ΒΌ of the way round too. I now don't use the incubator as an auto now, but a manual. With only 7 eggs in there, it only takes a few seconds to turn all the eggs.

The last 7 eggs I had in which hatch last Saturday, 1 was clear, 5 hatched and 1 pipped at the wrong end, and could'nt get out. I just hope now they are males,lol.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 am

I have noticed the temp usually drops to about 34 while i'm turning but it soon gets back to 37. Sounds like you have had alot more success turning your eggs manually. Have you got some pictures?
I've ordered a candeller so i'll try and have a sneaky look when it comes. I'm hoping mine are females for my first batch don't want to be overrun with fiesty males.
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi s25ale,

Sorry, I'll the worst photogragher in the world, I got a camera but that only takes pictures of things I don't want!

Yes, once you open the incubator, the temperature will drop, but as turning 7 eggs only takes about 30 seconds it will not affect the incubation one bit.

The last lot of eggs I hatched produced 2 males and 4 females, which is really a bugger, as I only got the R-com3 to hatch males. I use the Octagons for hatching all my femal birds. By doing it this way, I know which chicks came from and not inbreeding.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 pm

Why do you use the Octagon for females but the R-com3 for males? Sorry i'm very much at the learning stage.

I'm planning to hatch two lots of birds and keep a male from one and the females from another - i should have brought a bigger incubator!
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi s25ale,

From the octagon hatches, I select only the best 5 females all the rest are discarded (sold or culled/frozen). So that I don't get them mixed up, I hatch the 1 male I need in the R-Com3.

5 females from one breeder is enough for my breeding program, and I always buy another 12 eggs from someone else at the same time just for the males. It's the only way I can gaurantee I'm not inbreeding any of my birds.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by s25ale Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks for the explaination, i'm sure i'll be back soon with lots more questions! Smile
s25ale
s25ale
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum