Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Builder's Sand

+2
andoy
Harrie
6 posters

Go down

Builder's Sand Empty Builder's Sand

Post by Harrie Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Not sure if this has been asked before but does anyone know if it would be okay to use some builders sand in my dust bath for my quail?? I've been given 4 bags. It does look rather a vivid colour so not sure if this is a good idea but had to ask cos it seem such a shame.
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Builder's Sand Empty Re: Builder's Sand

Post by andoy Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:22 pm

I've used it as a linning for my polystyrene hatch box, but I sterilised it 1st by pouring boiling water over it and let it dry/cool off when using it for hatching chicks.

I've used it for older quail (without sterilising it) when I had just a handfull of quail. As it was easy enough to clean (scape of the top) and dig it into my garden. It's great because the surface stays fairly dry with sand.

I think the orangey/red/brown colour is a function of the amount of silicate in it. Silicate is harmless. If fact, young bird will probably take a few pebbles for their gizzard. I think there are worse things they can pick up from the soil.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Neat - like the sterilising tip. Thanks Andy
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by rohraen Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:38 pm

i use concreting / screeding sand, the red stuff stains everything!
rohraen
rohraen
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-03-12

http://freewebs.com/myrabbitshed

Back to top Go down

Post by lottie Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:33 am

When my chickens dust bathed in a pile of it few years ago - their 'feathers' got a bit orange coloured - but that was all.
lottie
lottie
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Female
Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 am

Hi Harrie,

I personally won't use builder's sand, it contains so many chemical to set the concrete right these days.

Use chinchilla sand, it contains nothing but sand, and will make the birds feathers shine. If you constuct a deep box (like a chicken nest box but with a higher front side) you can empty this daily and screen the sand to get all the droppings and dirt out and this can be re-used. I always put mite power in my sand to keep my birds mite and flea free.

As I live very near to the coast, I often spend an afternoon collecting sea sand that is very high up the shoreline (it's been bleached by the sun for centuries), this is also use as a dust bath but contains grit and broken seashells, the quail just love picking out the bit while bathing.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie's Quails Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:08 pm

ive got an aviary and half is filled with wood chippings for my finches and canaries but the other half is filled with park wood chippings thats are chopped up and the quail love them they throw them about bury underneath them its so fun to watch.
Ronnie's Quails
Ronnie's Quails
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Male
Number of posts : 454
My eBay : 9767jack
Registration date : 2008-04-08

http://www.freewebs.com/hudgellboy/

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:31 pm

The stuff I use is called "washed river sand" and used by builders around here for dry linning (patio and garden paving). I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anthing else in it as it isn't necessarily used with concrete (the chemicals are usually put in the concrete mix). It can vary geologically depending on where it is collected from, but I'm pretty sure it's just taken from the ground.

I know some aquarium shops that use it as a fine aquarium substrate (washed of course), which I don't recommend. Not because of the chemicals, but because there might be limestone, chalk, shell or mineral salts that can affect the hardness and pH of the water.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down