Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese quail are these boys or girls?

2 posters

Go down

Japanese quail are these boys or girls? Empty Japanese quail are these boys or girls?

Post by sarah.leggett Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:47 pm

Hiya!

Well my japanese quail are getting huge. They are really tame and we adore them. My 6 year old daughter has taken pictures of the quail for me while I held them. I'm hoping you can help me to sex them. I also have some chinese painted quail to sex but the are MAD!! I couldn't catch them as they were boing-ing around the cage. Going to get the OH to help me later.

Here are picture of the 4 normal japanese quail:

[img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0413

[/img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0412

Very ashamed of this ones feet Embarassed , he actually lost a nail. We went away leaving them with our neighbour, who seemed to bed them down with their food which stuck to their feet. They had lumps of wet food on their nails. We soaked their feet in warm water which got the muck off but this one ended up losing a nail before we got back. Needless to say we have decided not to go away together again, LOTS went wrong.

[img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0411

[/img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0410

Here are pictures of the white quail. Who have brown fleck markings on the back of their head and back, one has darker makings than the other. One has red eyes, my daughter loves this one.

[img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0415

[/img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0416

Here is a picture of one who I think is a golden:

[img]Japanese quail are these boys or girls? 102_0414

Help and advice greatfully appreciated, they are now 5 weeks old.

sarah.leggett
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Japanese quail are these boys or girls? Empty Re: Japanese quail are these boys or girls?

Post by Suz Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:01 pm

1,2,3 are girls, 4's a boy, 5 & 6 the white x gold you'll need to vent sex and 7 is a golden boy.

Your CPQ's should be easy to sex unless white or pied - all males will have white bibs with darker or black outline & mask, but if you can catch them and take photo's, we'll have a go at sexing them.

Suz

PS. your daughter takes great pictures Smile
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Japanese quail are these boys or girls? Empty Re: Japanese quail are these boys or girls?

Post by sarah.leggett Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:31 pm

WOW I think that's fantastic !!! Pretty good boy to girl ratio so far. 3 girls and 2 boys. Haven't got a clue how to vent sex! Perhaps have to wait and see if they crow.

As for the CPQ that means my silver is a boy, I shall go have a look at the others now. I also have 2 whites guess that could end up the crow test again.

Thankyou very much!

sarah.leggett
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum