Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st questions soil/concrete + noise

3 posters

Go down

1st questions   soil/concrete + noise Empty 1st questions soil/concrete + noise

Post by wez Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Ok, so here are the first couple of questions I have. I'm planning to build an out door enclosure for 4/5 quail. its going to be about 5' x 6'. I had planned on having this as soil with grass and plants to make it look natural, but I've been reading here how messy quail can be. So, bearing in mind that it will be lightly stocked and the enclosure will not be moveable, will this be a bad idea and should I include more concrete/less soil?
I understand that quail may not return to the coop at night, the run will be secure, so I don't mind if they stay out but are they likely to keep me and the neighbours awake with crowing?

wez
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

1st questions   soil/concrete + noise Empty Re: 1st questions soil/concrete + noise

Post by Ironsun Thu May 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Wez,

If your thinking of a planted avairy, you must let any plants mature before introducing birds of any kind. If you just pot potted plants in, they'll be scratted out in no time. Mature plants are much better as they have a better root syterm.

Males don't make a great deal of noise, as you'll be only keeping one, you'll hardly notice the crow in a few days. Males are most active during the breeding season and start crowing at first light, I've even heard them when it's dark.

As your aware, quails don't often use a shelter at night time like chickens, so I suggest you cover the avairy roof with clear plastic sheeting so when it rains, the birds don't get too wet. Quail can be kept out doors all the year around, but they do not like the damp. If they are kept dry and out of the cold winds, they will be fine.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

1st questions   soil/concrete + noise Empty Re: 1st questions soil/concrete + noise

Post by andoy Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm

personally I like soil, but that's the garden designer in me. It's totally impractical if you end up with more quails than you planned initially.

Perhaps the most important thing is that you can clean disinfect easily. Concrete can be hosed down quickly. You can always add some potted plants.

Another consideration is predators like foxes/rats. They are less likely to enter the aviary if you've got a concrete floor. Though rats can eat anything, it makes it that little bit harder.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down