Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you house CPQ and Japanese together?

2 posters

Go down

Can you house CPQ and Japanese together? Empty Can you house CPQ and Japanese together?

Post by sarah.leggett Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Hiya!

Not been here for ages!! I have been away down south for 2 weeks visiting family. I have come back to japanese quail that have changed sooo much, it is amazing!! The Japs are soo much calmer than the CPQ. We have a poultry auction on Saturday, last year there were quail there so I may get tempted on some more Japs. I am going to get some pictures see if you can get any ideas on the sex yet. The japs make more noise than the CPQ too, I find the noice very peaceful.

Now my question is can my 6 week old CPQ be housed with my 3.5 week Japanese Embarassed . The chinese are off heat now however the Japs still have heat at night so obviously would wait untill they are off heat completely. Now I suspect this is not possible however other half says it would be easier (house building) if they can. So though I'd ask all you knowledgable folk. I think i've heard the CPQ can be nasty towards incomers.

Thanks in advance
sarah

sarah.leggett
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Can you house CPQ and Japanese together? Empty Re: Can you house CPQ and Japanese together?

Post by Suz Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi Sarah

I was told when I first started with quail that the 2 could live together in a big enough aviary but haven't actually tried it, because my housing plans changed. But I don't think I'd risk keeping them together now.

I once had a disaster while brooding CPQ and Jumbo Japs together, everything was going fine until one morning when the chicks were just over 4 wks old, I came down to discover that the CPQ had pecked into the ears of 7 Jumbo's killing 5, the other 2 died later the same day. when ever I hatch the 2 together, I never leave them in the same brooder past 3 weeks - I don't know if the incident was unusual, but I'm not willing to take the chance again.

I do however have a male CPQ (Bumble my first quail) who lives quite happily in with my white Japs & single brown female (Jackie), in fact he's been miserable any time I've taken him away from Jackie and put him in with the rest of the CPQ.

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Can you house CPQ and Japanese together? Empty Re: Can you house CPQ and Japanese together?

Post by Guest Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi, I have seen them housed together. But for me with breeding I would rather keep them all apart anyway!

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down