Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this forum, questions about quail.

4 posters

Go down

New to this forum, questions about quail. Empty New to this forum, questions about quail.

Post by Queries_About_Quails Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, I just wanted to ask a few questions.
We are dithering on hatching/buying quail in a few months. If we where to hatch, there is always the problem with too many males. We have never hatched anything before, and it looks like a really interesting thing to do. If we did get too many male, is there a chance they would tolerate eachother? Is there any breeds that will? Or is it totaly out of the question? We would be getting Italian or Californian quail, are they fairly docile? We would want them to breed and sell fertile eggs. I really don't think I'd be able to despatch one, because I don't know how to and would be terrified of doing it wrong Shocked

Sorry for the ignorence, I'm not very experienced Rolling Eyes
Any help would be great.
x.x.x.

Queries_About_Quails
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

New to this forum, questions about quail. Empty Re: New to this forum, questions about quail.

Post by keef Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:16 pm

hi, i don't know of a breed where the males will tolerate each other, not more than 2 kept together with enough girls to go around anyway.

if you're looking for docile Quail, i'd reccomend Jap's r Italians they don't seem to be very flighty. And mine are very friendly, they will eat out of my hand.

if you're looking at Californians... they are very flighty and scare easily as do Chinese painted.

i hiopethis helps.

keef flower
keef
keef
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Back to top Go down

New to this forum, questions about quail. Empty Re: New to this forum, questions about quail.

Post by internet_nobody Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Male japs/italians can be kept in groups quite well if there are no hens nearby. I have a lot of eggs in at the moment, and am still a bit iffy on what i'm going to do with the males...I was intending to have a big group outside, but now I think I might have to have the males outside and other groups inside.

I bought my first quail since investing in an inc seemed expensive...but the birds aren't that cheap. Once you have them you will want to hatch some!
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Queries_About_Quails Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi there, thank you both for your replies Very Happy
I forgot to mention, they would be in a run about 6ft by 9ft and about 4ft tall with about eight of them in there. Would that make any difference? There would be plenty of shrubs and branches. If we where to hatch, there would be about eight eggs in the incubator *gulp* so is it likley that they would all be male?

You said that California's are flighty, would it make a diference, if we hatched our own, or is it just the kind or breed that are making them flighty?

Thank you very much!

x.x.x.

Queries_About_Quails
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:36 pm

You're not gonna get 8 chicks out of 8 eggs, its rare that you'll have 100% hatch. My first hatch yielded only 3 chicks from 9 fertile eggs, I have a cock a hen and a thing (its a range - can't be sex til matured), so I don't think a small hatch means you'll end up with all blokes! 6 x 9 is loads of room for 8 birds, you could squeeze a few more in there!

Calis I think would need more height though, they're proper flying birds.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 pm

I have a group of 3 males living together right now and they seem to be fine. Also they are in a hutch so with all that room you have they may be fine. (My aviary is almost up - sooo exciting!) bounce
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by keef Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:11 pm

the cali's are a flying bird, the like to perch.... igher the better.
they do much better in aviaries.
hatching your own shouldn't be a problem

keef
keef
keef
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum