Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys?

4 posters

Go down

Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? Empty Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys?

Post by sarah.leggett Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Hiya!

Well after some effort caught up all the CPQ!! Twice they flew out of my partners hands, after scrabbling around the floor of the shed caught them again. Have decided his hands are too big. Somehow they keep flying out of his grip. He madly said "CPQ are not for us you can't do anything with them, they're stupid!!" Shocked I tried to reassure him that they'll calm down in time.

We have 2 silver types, presume this ones a boy as it has a white bib:

[img]Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? 102_0419

This one is silver with fawn flecks. Is it a girl silver?

[/img]Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? 102_0420

This is my favourite, it is blue with red tail and under tummy (confusing myself here).

Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? 102_0417

Another one:

[/img]Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? 102_0418

Another:

[img]Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? 102_0421

We also have 2 whites, which I shall watch for the crows, see what sex they are. If you could also let me know the proper names for their colours please as I don't have a clue. Sorry pictures aren't great it is difficult to hold them and be able to see the colour of them.

Thanks in advance

sarah.leggett
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? Empty Re: Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys?

Post by Harrie Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Lovely pics (don't know a thing about sexing CPQ - sorry). And what lovely scenery behind!!
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys? Empty Re: Chinese painted quail, Girls or boys?

Post by sunnyside Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:31 pm

you are very brave photoing them outside! I never could hold onto them for more then a few seconds before mine wiggled free!

clueless on the sexing -sorry- but the males do a very distinctive little crow so your'll find out pretty soon.

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 pm

I couldn't take mine outside either, they'd be off Smile

CPQ 1 - Male
CPQ 2 - Male
CPQ 3 - Blue Breast Male (I think - has it got black markings on its face/neck)
CPQ 4 -Female
CPQ 5 - Female

CPQ take a while to mature (14-16weeks) so could be a while before the males crow (its a strange noise - like its blowing a gale) You could try the meal worm test - apparently the males will offer to the females rather than eat them, and females will greedily tuck in. My quail don't appear to have heard this rule and all tuck in, but it works for most folk Smile
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down