Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question

4 posters

Go down

Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question Empty Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question

Post by Suz Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Between 11pm yesterday evening and 12am - we had 7" of snow, and it continued to snow during the night - so our trips been cancelled. weathers lovely just now but blizzards have been forecast for this afternoon - I wasn't willing to risk going away when theres a chance of power cuts, coal fire is stoked up ready to be lit, mum's aga is on stand by incase we need to ferry chicks across the village to be kept warm.

Now for the point of this post Smile - I've eggs in the incubator, more platinum eggs due on Tuesday (today is day 15) and Derek's eggs due on the 10th (today day 10). what would be the chances of keeping them viable in a powercut by placing them in an aga or next to a coal fire?

Thanks

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question Empty Re: Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question

Post by Ironsun Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Hi Suz,

They might be fine for a hour or two in the bottom oven of your aga, but you have to be there to regulate the temp (opening/shutting the door) they might survive.
I don't give much hope next to an open fire, the temp is very high on the hearth.

These days you can buy very cheaply a small generator, a friend of mine bought one from B&Q a year or two back, they are very useful for people would often gets powercuts.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question Empty Re: Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question

Post by Suz Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks Derek,

We've only had a few flurries of snow nothing like what was forecast - I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't turn nasty during the night.

We don't get hit with powercuts that often, but last year during a blizzard the power cables into the village were taken down, leaving us without power for 32hours - a repeat would be a nightmare with my eggs so far on. A genny is on my to get list, but sheds and other more fun stuff seem to keep jumping the queue Smile

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:22 pm

or you can always go for the ancient method of artifical incubation...
dozens of eggs stuffed up your top!

arga sounds best bet to me-under warm gives more chance of survival then overwarm so you would have to moniter closely.

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Hehe Smile I once had a 3 week old baby rat who was on antibiotics living in my bra because its mum wouldn't let it snuggle with its litter mates, but I dont think I'd manage all my eggs in there Very Happy
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Glasgow trip cancelled & Powercut question Empty Inverter

Post by CliftonH Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Suz.. Have you thought of a Inverter 12 volts in 230/240 out from a leisure battery or car battery just keep it charged, I'm going down this route after I had a power cut (5) in a few days.........They are very cheap on ebay.............. and a peace off mind also........................Clifton....

CliftonH
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:26 am

Thanks Clifton, that sounds perfect for what I need, will look into it - ie. get hubby to order one when he gets home Very Happy

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down