Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing new Females

2 posters

Go down

Introducing new Females Empty Introducing new Females

Post by arsenalno9 Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Hello,

I have 7 females with one male in a shed cage, i want to add more females? I just put a girl in and the male went all "gimme gimme gimme" ! and scared the pooh (literally) out of the new female?

How I do dat!?

I could change the male at the same time?
arsenalno9
arsenalno9
Chinese Painted Quail
Chinese Painted Quail

Male
Number of posts : 58
My eBay : arsenalno9
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Introducing new Females Empty Re: Introducing new Females

Post by lottie Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:10 pm

I am a total beginner at this, but Derek did advise me that when my first hatch of quails are old enough, I will need to introduce males/s to get a new bloodline.

He told me the way to do that is to put the bird/s into a budgie type cage (with food and water of course) then to put this cage in with the rest of the quail for a week. Moving it to a different place each day - so that the other quail get used to it - before finally introducing the new bird/s.

There might still be a bit of a kerfuffle but should settle down.

I am sure one of the others that have already done as you want to do - will soon be along to let you know how they do/did it.

Good luck

I know with chickens the male usually is very dominant and forceful as soon as a female is introduced. It is 30+ years since I kept a mixed flock of chickens so can't really remember the outcome. I just have hens now.
lottie
lottie
Harlequin Quail
Harlequin Quail

Female
Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down