Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English White versus A&M White

2 posters

Go down

English White versus A&M White Empty English White versus A&M White

Post by QuailCrazyUSA Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Has anyone kept White japs that are not A&M? Here in the states we have what we call English White. Not the same as A&M's at all, smaller and I think the skin pigment is different as well. Just wondered if you have them in the uk and if you do what are they called there?
QuailCrazyUSA
QuailCrazyUSA
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

English White versus A&M White Empty Re: English White versus A&M White

Post by andoy Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Well from what I've read (I can't remember where now) is that the original Texas A&M were the normal/wild colour. They then decided to breed them with English white to produce a white strain of Texas A&M. Apparently this is prefered because the colour of the skin after plucking looks cleaner with white birds. So in theory the only difference in size.

I don't keep either standard English white or Texas A&M white. Others might be able to elucidate more.

p.s. I don't bother plucking myself. I just skin the whole thing as it's quicker.

Last edited by andoy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added P.S.)
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down