Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hatching eggs from different sources together.

4 posters

Go down

Hatching eggs from different sources together. Empty Hatching eggs from different sources together.

Post by Snoozypaws3000 Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:27 am

Me again,

Sorry that I have so many questions.... hope some day when I have more experience that I will be able to offer my own help to newbies but at the moment I'm afraid I'm relying on you lot!

Can you advise if I can pop two lots of eggs from separate sources into the one incubator please....I don't mean different breeds at different times but say two lots of Harlequin from eggs from different breeders?

I assume that as long as they are set on exactly the same day and the incubator is totally sterile that there wouldn't be a problem but just wanted to be sure that I was not putting the chicks at risk of picking up or passing something from one group to the other?

Much appreciate your help
Lisa-Dawn

Snoozypaws3000
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Hatching eggs from different sources together. Empty Re: Hatching eggs from different sources together.

Post by Ironsun Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:48 am

Hi,

I often put eggs from different scources into the same incubator, but I alway wash them first (I know this can have an effect on them and reduces hatchability but it's better than transfering diease, I clean them in a solution of incubator disinfectant)

I've had many eggs sent to me by post and the washing of them does not effect them that much, my last lot of eggs from Suz I hatch 12/12.

The thing I would be more worried about is, can you seperate the eggs at hatching time, for you to know which came from which breeder? The lil buggers can jump over 3" dividers so they need covering,lol.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Hatching eggs from different sources together. Empty Re: Hatching eggs from different sources together.

Post by Suz Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi Lisa-Dawn

Welcome to the forum

I usually have mixed hatches in the incubator too .... Embarassed but I never wash the eggs before incubation, I was under the impression washing was unnecessary and can actually cause damage the eggs so should be reserved for dirty eggs (which I bin rather than incubate & source eggs from a reputable breeder with healthy birds). I have never experienced any sign of cross contamination with successful hatch rates.

But like Derek said its finding a suitable divider to keep the hatching chicks separated that's a problem, I'm still trying to come up with an escape proof separation system for the RCom... just when I think I've got sussed, a fluff-ball Houdini hatches Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 pm

I've hatched eggs from different souces (I have eggs from 3 different sources in my incubator at the moment). I like to do one big hatch, instead of lots of little hatches. It just makes brooding them a lot easier. I used to wash the eggs in disinfectant, but have read that that damages them. I don't know whether that is true or not. I don't know enough to say one way or the other. So I don't bother.

Because I use a large styrofoam box as a hatch box, I can stick different batches of eggs in little plastic containers (I use take away plastic containers from Chinese take aways) with punched holes in them for ventilation and label the container. That way when they hatch, I know which ones are from which batch. If you get different coloured chicks from different sources you don't have to mark the chicks (to identify them). However, a trick I learnt from the forum is to mark some of the chicks with tippex on their head.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Dereks hatcher ...

Hatching eggs from different sources together. PICT0009
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:12 pm

What incubator do you use as a hatcher Derek? ... looks as though it must be massive to fit that tray Smile
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:02 pm

wow, that's really neat Derek. Beats having lots of little plastic containers in the incubator. I think I might make something like that. I'm setting up a new hatch box (as my current hatch box is now my incy again). I'm going to hunt around for little plastic dividers that I can setup and move around.

You could also cover the top with plastic mesh (stuff you get in craft shops) to stop them jumping the barriers, but unfortunatly you loose visibility of the chicks hatching if you do that.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Suz,

It's not really that big, I've got it on a bed side table,(Helps me get to sleep)

It's a Dutch made incubator from ebay (Item number: 200246742509)I can use it as both incubator and hatcher at the same time, but I've not yet, as you've got to open the door to turn the eggs, letting all the moisture out.

Andy,
I'm sure there is a plastic divider thingy on the market, it fit's inside your bedroom cupboard draws, I've no idea what it's called but it's for keeping your socks in? Do you know what I mean?.lol. Failing this, a for sale sign cut up into strips and fitted inside the draw/hatcher will do the same job.

Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by andoy Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Hmmm, that's a good idea Derek. No houses seem to be selling anyway. I don't think they'll miss it Twisted Evil
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Link to Drawer Tidy ..... Click Here
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Snoozypaws3000 Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:44 pm

Thank you so much to everyone for all the information you've all provided and I loved the piccy of the chicks in boxes LOL far neater than my own sock drawer!
Lisa-Dawn

Snoozypaws3000
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down