Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviary flooring plan

+2
andoy
Norfolk Quail Keeper
6 posters

Go down

Aviary flooring plan Empty Aviary flooring plan

Post by Norfolk Quail Keeper Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi,
I'm new to keeping quail and will be buying some soon . I plan to keep them in an aviary which I'm currently building. What would be the best thing for the floor? I don't like the idea of concrete, as it seems a bit cruel. As the aviary will be huge for just 4 japs and some cockatiels, I wondered whether grass might survive? If not, would bark chippings work.
Also, are elderflower plants ok for quail, as I didn't want to get rid of the ones that are already in the aviary. And for cockatiels?
Any advice much appreciated.

Norfolk Quail Keeper
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Aviary flooring plan Empty Re: Aviary flooring plan

Post by andoy Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Welcome
Concrete is definitely the easiest to keep clean and cruel isn't an adjective I'd use. It's a perfectly good base for an aviary and it prevents rats and foxes.

However, I do share your dislike for concreting my garden/back yard. I have a wire mesh at the bottom of my aviary (to prevent foxes and rats getting in) and cover mine with pea gravel.

Depending on the number of birds you keep, you'll probably find most plants in the aviary will be decimated fairly quickly. I don't think grass will last long unless you give them loads of space. I'm not too sure about keeping elderflower. The leaves and unripe berries are toxic, though quail may be able to tolerate it. Personally, I'd remove the elderflower.
andoy
andoy
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 916
My eBay : andoyolg
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2008-03-13

http://andoy.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:32 pm

I had no choice about concrete for my birds - when we moved into the house it was already all concrete! I grow trays of grass (which are destroyed in 48 hours), and in covered parts of runs have big trays of shavings for dustbathing, and a a couple of small patches of wooden decking (40 x 40cm) so they can get off the concrete.

Bark chippings go very smelly when wet and mixed with food (i've tried!) and Suz found hers would go moudly when spilt food mixed in. If you have good drainage it would probably be OK.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:50 pm

my new aviaries (If i ever get them finished Rolling Eyes) will have have wild grasses and flowers.

I cant find elderflower in any of the lists of plants toxic t birds that I've got .... i'd leave it where it is.
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk Quail Keeper Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:41 pm

Thanks so far - very helpful advice. Also, I see lots of people say about logs and flowerpots and things for them to run and hide around or in. Could anyone give me some more detailed advice on what sort of things to include - the aviary is 4.8m by 2m, and is 2.1 high; if that helps.
Thanks again

Norfolk Quail Keeper
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by total-beginner Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 am

Im in much the same situation as you. I am building an aviary also and as yet have not finished the flight floor.

I have been thinking about it and reading a bit on the forum. I am seriously considering putting some gravel down over the earth and then areas of sand for dust baths.
Not sure where I am getting the sand from yet or what sort to use.

I did think about growing grass but I think I will just grow trays of it now and carry on throwing the chick weed in.

I havent got my quail yet but I do have some budgies. I got told that any tree or bush that humans can eat the fruit or nuts from would be fine for birds.
I use hawthorn, apple, plum, pear, hazel, damson, cherry etc.
I have a black current bush that is unwanted so I am putting that in so the birds can explore underneath it, around it, perch on it and generally rip it to pieces.

Jo
total-beginner
total-beginner
Cheeping Chick
Cheeping Chick

Female
Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bex46 Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 am

I have a concrete base for my avairy as it was there when i removed the garage. it is very easy to keep clean. i have pots of bamboo around, this is safe for your other birds aswell.
bex46
bex46
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down