Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how long do you roast quail for please!

+3
internet_nobody
Harrie
sunnyside
7 posters

Go down

how long do you roast quail for please! Empty how long do you roast quail for please!

Post by sunnyside Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:36 pm

just culled/plucked/gutted etc my 6 spare boys and we plan on having them tonight.

they have got a nice bit of fat on them so I'm thinking stuff them, and roast. how long do I cook them for please? what gas?

thanks.Very Happy

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female
Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2007-10-31

Back to top Go down

how long do you roast quail for please! Empty Re: how long do you roast quail for please!

Post by Harrie Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Complete guess as I haven't tried any roast quail yet but 180-190 C for 20 mins!?

Edit - I reckon I'd try 200 C and 20 min but it all depends on how pokey your oven is mine tends to run hot.
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

how long do you roast quail for please! Empty Re: how long do you roast quail for please!

Post by internet_nobody Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Chickens are normally something like an hour per pound aren't they? So 20 mins for a quail sounds like the right length of time. Maybe a little longer if they're stuffed.
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by keef Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:59 pm

chickens are 20 mins a lb + 20 mins.
quail being much smaller will only take 15 - 25 mins max i reckon

mid heat, gas 4 or 5

keef
keef
keef
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male
Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:13 pm

thanks guys. looking forward to these. late night dinner before the boxing comes on Smile

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Suz Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:04 am

A wee bit late, but I'm pretty sure that theres a roast quail recipe with temp & cooking time, in the quail recipe section.
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Quail were superb Smile
did take a hell of a lot longer to cook then i thought. getting on for 40 minutes but delicious.
how long do you roast quail for please! Roastquail
highly recommend!

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kenza Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:55 pm

ooommmggg they look so delish Very Happy
kenza
kenza
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2007-07-12

http://www.quailsrus.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:57 pm

they were!!!!! thing that impressed me was all the meat on the bird was as good as the breast meat. no horrible slimy bit on underside-no tough legs.
am watching my latest batch of youngsters with increased interest now!

oh other thing that happened was went in to sort birds this morning and my 8 week quail (sisters to the departed) had produced their very first egg. do you reckon my pep talk about hurry up or you go way of your brothers worked? Smile

edit-it must have worked-just gone out again and egg number 2 was there:) what good girls.

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kenza Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:25 pm

yep you scared them to death nearly and they laid an egg instead of pooping themself Very Happy how did you find the plucking and gutting though?
kenza
kenza
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2007-07-12

http://www.quailsrus.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:39 pm

lol!Very Happy
I killed them then immediatly hung by feet for a few minutes to make sure blood went to neck then plucked still warm.
plucking and gutting were both straightforward and easy enough-just rather fiddly. I cut the wings off as after plucking a couple (extremly differcult the wings) I realised there was virtually no meat on them.
you do need to be careful plucking as the skin is really thin and i tore it on some as tried for too many feathers at once. the birds did have an amazing number of feathers..
once plucked hung them up for half hour while went and got breath back.

gutting-again easy enough-just cut around the vent then yank everything out-making careful note that everything there so no nasty surprises at table. (-and take out crop at neck end-) just fiddly but only took few minutes per bird.

I'd certainly do them again. well worth the effort and so nice to have a meal where you know it has had good food,a nice life, no long journey, no suffering.

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harrie Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 pm

The do look very tasty!
Harrie
Harrie
Californian Quail

Female
Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:48 pm

Hi,

Dry plucking is a pain, try boiling some water to 120F, and put the culled birds in that for 20/30 seconds, remove and you'll find you can "pluck" the bird in seconds, wings included. The skin does not rip either. Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by keef Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:58 pm

they do look very nice
i don't think i could do it tho, i'm sure i could eat them if they was already dressed.
i don't have a problem with killing them, but i think i would if i had to pluck, clean and cook them lol
i used to have problems with my chickens, i couldn't do it, so all the cocks used to end up at the market.
i suppose i'll have to try it, just to see if i can do it, other wise i'll have to many males.

when th time comes, i'll let you know how i get on.

keef
keef
keef
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by internet_nobody Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:11 pm

Keef - I don't think I could kill them but think i'd be fine gutting them. We should get together to eat quail Razz
internet_nobody
internet_nobody
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Female
Number of posts : 915
My eBay : internet_nobody
Species Kept : Japanese and Bobwhite
Registration date : 2007-09-26

http://www.emmap.com

Back to top Go down

Post by keef Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:16 pm

lol emma.... is that a new chat up line?

only joking.... sorry i couldn't resist

keef
keef
keef
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyside Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:34 pm

Ironsun wrote:Hi,

Dry plucking is a pain, try boiling some water to 120F, and put the culled birds in that for 20/30 seconds, remove and you'll find you can "pluck" the bird in seconds, wings included. The skin does not rip either. Derek.

thanks Derek, that sounds far easier! Very Happy

sunnyside
Japanese Quail
Japanese Quail

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down