Coturnix Corner UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japs? jumbos? or all the same

4 posters

Go down

Japs? jumbos? or all the same Empty Japs? jumbos? or all the same

Post by markthebuilder Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:32 pm

High bought some jumbo jap eggs of ebay, no good so bought some more described as japanese quail, (I thought they were the same thing)

managed to hatch 4 cheers great little things but what are they?

Having done a bit more research there seam to be jap minis. japs, and jumbo japs,
are they different breeds, mutations/selectively bread, or different names used by different people.

markthebuilder
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Back to top Go down

Japs? jumbos? or all the same Empty Re: Japs? jumbos? or all the same

Post by Suz Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi Mark,

Their all the same species Coturnix japonica - Japanese Quail.

We've been discussing this a fair bit recently on the forum, as I keep all 3 variations and wondered how they were produced.

Jumbo's were produced by selecting and breeding from the largest Jap's - although often advertised on eBay as reaching 16oz, its seem they only reach that potential weight on a high protein diet. My Jumbo cock bird average 10.5 oz reared on normal chick crumb/growers/layer pellets. The hen's lay larger eggs than a normal Jap.

Mini Japs it would seem was produced by inbreeding and again selecting the smallest of bird to breed from. These quail lay the same size of eggs as normal Jap's. my Mini cock bird average 3.5oz again reared on the same food. My normal Jap cock birds average 8.5 oz

congratulations on your new brood Smile , watch out though their addictive Very Happy

Suz
Suz
Suz
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 2237
My eBay : spatrick658
Species Kept : Japanese, Bobwhites, Gambels & Calis
Registration date : 2007-07-11

http://www.freewebs.com/aberdeenshirequail

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironsun Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi,

Yes, as Suz says, they are all the same species of quail. You'll also find when doing research about quails, is the use of different names for the same colour, the USA has loads of different names.
Every so often, some bright spark puts an advert on ebay claiming they have something different from anyone else, earlier this year, someone was selling Pharaoh quail, and were selling for £20 a dozen.If you research pharaoh quail, you'll find them to be the normal japanese species, it's what some Americans call them.The same thing now is happening, people selling "button quail", but these are only your normal Chinese painted quails.
My advice to anyone thinking about getting jumbo quails is to ask as many questions you can on the weights of the birds, and for any records the owners keep. Derek.
Ironsun
Ironsun
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 725
My eBay : etoshastud
Registration date : 2007-07-26

http://www.quail-run.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by markthebuilder Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:26 am

Thankyou for the replies, i can see how they might be addictive , i think the BH may even get the bug.

markthebuilder
Fresh Egg
Fresh Egg

Male
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by kenza Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 pm

caww im telling you in advance markthebuilder its more than addictive you just cant stop thinking about it either Razz
kenza
kenza
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Bobwhite

Male
Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2007-07-12

http://www.quailsrus.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content